Art Show At YMCA
Curated Culture: Metamorphosis Presented by RAGETIME
The Darien YMCA is pleased to be partnering with RAGETIME, a grassroots organization and collective of current students and alumni who have a passion for equality and justice. They have recently launched an Art Showcase entitled, Curated Culture: Metamorphosis – A culmination of artistic expression displaying a personal metamorphosis or change in perspective.
RAGETIME requested submissions of work that expresses an experience that has impacted the artists perspective and created their own personal metamorphosis. Art pieces are being showcased around the Darien community at the Darien YMCA, YWCA, The Depot and Darien Arts Center. We welcome our community and members to come view each piece and read each artist’s personal statements. We hope these works will spark conversation and encourage dialogue and action around equal opportunity and education for all.
Through their work, RAGETIME envisions education for every student in which Black history and the contributions of other minority communities are integrated into the standard curriculum for all subjects, and students are afforded an intellectual, safe learning space where they are taught that anyone can invoke change. Their newly launched website includes resources for the greater community that encourages dialogue and action around equal opportunity and education for all. Resources are centered around education and curriculum, diversity and inclusion, mental health, emotional wellness, and activism. We also encourage you to visit their newly created website where you will find diversity and inclusion booklists, mental health, curriculum and education resources, Rage Time advocacy work and more. www.RAGETimeCT.com
Assistance for Seniors 75+ and Anyone Registering for COVID-19 Vaccine
If you are 75 years of age or older, you qualify for Phase 1b, and are currently eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. If you have already heard from your medical provider about receiving the vaccine, you do not need to do anything else – if you have not, several scheduling options are available to you.
The YMCA is sharing these directions to assist our members.
Below are the steps needed to register and get and appointment through the Department of Public Health’s Vaccine Administration Management System (VAMS):
IT IS A TWO STEP PROCESS
- Create a VAMS Account
- Schedule an appointment to get your vaccine
***Each person needs their own EMAIL ACCOUNT to schedule an appointment***
Tips when creating your VAMS Account:
- When asked if you have registered in VAMs before please select no.
- Enter your state and county and then CDC will email you a number verification that you will enter into the pop up box. Once that number is entered it will prompt you to create a password that meets all the requirements that are listed on the page (be sure to write your password down as you will need it for logging in to VAMs next time).
- Next you will begin your registration process by entering your information.
- For the question concerning race you will highlight your race in the box on the left and hit the arrow aiming to the right to move it into the empty box on the right
- Continue to fill in your information-if the page does not advance after you hit next (located in the bottom right) look back at the questions and find the one with the red information letting you know what you missed. The VAMs system does not like special characters (dashes, commas, etc.) so please do not use them. Questions with a red asterisk * are required.
- Once you have entered all of your information hit submit. You will then receive an email that says: “Next steps to schedule your vaccine appointment”
- Click on the link in the email to select and place to get your vaccine and the time and day. (you may have to click on future dates to find a list of open appointment times)
Those without internet access can call Connecticut’s COVID Vaccine Appointment Assistance Line at 877-918-2224.
We hope this information is helpful to you. If you need further guidance, do not hesitate to reach out to the YMCA for assistance or call the Appointment Assistance line at 877-918-2224.
BASKETBALL OPEN GYM
It's back! Basketball - Come on in for some family fun on the court! Or grab a few friends to shoots some hoops!
Basketball Open Gym Reservation Guidelines:
- No Drop-ins, reservations required.
- Must be 12 or older to register.
- Members only.
- Members can’t go past their scheduled time even if they come in late.
- Please only reserve one spot per weekend to allow others to participate.
- Groups can’t exceed four members OR one family from same household.
- Any participant who does not adhere to the rules and our membership code of conduct will be subject to consequences determined by the Darien YMCA management.
Basketball Open Gym Safety Precautions:
- Face coverings required at all times.
- Hand sanitizer provided.
- Groups must stay on their half of the gym.
- Basketball only. No other sports allowed for safety reasons.
- Must bring your own basketballs.
SHORT TERM COLLEGE MEMBERSHIP
No College, No Campus Gym......NO PROBLEM! The Darien Y is offering a special membership for college students to stay active and safely get that workout in while home for break.
Once you are member you will have access to all our fun in-person and virtual classes.
This college membership includes the following options:
1 month - $64
2 months - $128
3 Months - $192
4 Months - $256
*A $30 joiners fee to be included in each option for short term college memberships.
For Students returning to Connecticut from other states:
Pursuant to Governor Lamont's Executive Order No. 9I, anyone traveling into Connecticut from a state, other than New York, New Jersey, or Rhode Island, with a positive case rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate over a 7-day rolling average, or from a country for which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice, are directed to self-quarantine for a 14-day period from the time of last contact within the identified state or country.
Please contact the front desk at email@example.com with your questions.