The Darien YMCA is proud to announce that they will be hosting iCan Bike,
a bicycle camp for individuals with disabilities, created by iCan Shine.
iCan Shine is a non-profit organization that collaborates with local organizations to host camps in their communities, and the Darien Y is proud to host their first iCan Bike camp.
The goal of iCan Bike is to teach individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two-wheel bicycle, and become lifelong independent riders. iCan Bike uses adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program, and trained staff and volunteers to enable individuals with disabilities to learn to ride a two-wheeled bike.
The camp will be held a Middlesex Middle School from April 14th to April 18th.
There are 5 sessions to choose from:
Session 1 8:30 am – 9:45 am
Session 2 10:05 am – 11:20 am
Session 3 11:40 am – 12:55 pm
Session 4 2:00 pm – 3:15 pm
Session 5 3:35 pm – 4:50 pm
The session you choose will be your time slot Monday through Friday.
- Must be at least 8 years old by the start of camp
- Must have a disability
- Must be able to walk without an assistive device and be able to sidestep to both sides
- Must be able to attend the same 75-minute session each day of the 5-day camp
- Must be under 220 lbs and have a minimum inseam measurement of 20″ (measure from floor with sneakers on)
Volunteers are also crucial to this program. Sign up to be a “spotter” for the same rider for each of the 5 days of camp, and experience the rewarding thrill of giving the gift of riding a bike!
- Must be at least 16 years old (unless accompanied by an adult)
- Must be able to attend 90 minutes at the same time each of the 5 days of camp (15 minutes of training/daily debriefing)
- Must be able to provide physical, emotional, and motivational support to assigned rider
- Must be able and willing to get some light exercise (light jogging/running) for a great cause!
Click HERE to download the application.
Please print and complete the application and bring it, along with payment, to the Darien YMCA Front Desk.
You will be contacted by email to confirm your child is eligible to attend camp.
Riders are not considered registered until email confirmation is received.
For more information on iCan Bike and the registration process, contact Terri Accomando at TAccomando@darien-ymca.org