The Darien YMCA has been an integral part of Darien for 50 years with its focus on improving individual health and well-being, developing the potential of kids, and giving back to the community.
We need all our Members to fill in the Facility Usage Waiver upon check in: Facility Usage Agreement
“Family” is defined by the National YMCA as adults and children living in the same household, and being related by blood, marriage, or adoption. The Darien YMCA will require proof of residency of all parties seeking a membership that consists of more than one individual.
Below you will find our agreements and policies in more detail.
If you have any questions, please contact:
(203) 655-8228 Ext 1304
We expect everyone using the YMCA to behave in a mature and responsible way, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Code of Conduct does not permit language or actions that can hurt or frighten another person, or that falls below a generally accepted standard of conduct. Members should report an infraction to a YMCA Director immediately.
- The YMCA reserves the right to suspend or revoke any membership for good cause as determined by the Executive Director or the Board of Directors. The length of suspension or refund of membership dues or fees will be determined by the same authority.
- Members are required to carry their ID cards or their mobile device with the Darien YMCA app downloaded to scan their barcode every time they enter the building.
- Members are required to have their picture taken and linked to their membership account.
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, swearing, name calling, or shouting
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person
- Inappropriate, immodest, or sexually revealing attire
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property
- Loitering within or on the grounds of the YMCA
- Darien YMCA Memberships may be placed on hold for 1, 2, or 3 consecutive months per calendar year.
- No Partial months are available. All hold requests require 15 day written notice before the scheduled draft date.
- Member agrees to pay $25/month hold fee. Medical holds are available at no charge with a doctor’s note.
- Regular membership dues automatically resume following the requested on-hold period.
- Membership holds are not available for Youth, Teen or College Temporary.
- A complete outline of the hold policy may be obtained at the Front Desk.
- I authorize my bank to honor preauthorized Electronic Funds Transfer (or credit card institution) drawn by the Darien YMCA on my account for (membership/program/ contribution) payments as indicated below.
- When the bank honors the EFT (or credit card) by charging my account, such transfer shall constitute notice of payment due and my receipt for the payment.
- Should any preauthorized EFT (or credit card) not be honored by said bank when received by them, then it is understood that the payment is to be made by me in the amount of said payment plus posted returned draft/check fee.
- It is further understood that if such payment is not honored by the bank (or credit card institution), then the YMCA, at its discretion, may resubmit the amount due for payment on a future date.
I hereby agree to the following terms and conditions associated with the Darien YMCA ongoing Bank Draft Membership Policy:
- Membership fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- The Darien YMCA Membership draft is a perpetual membership with no expiration date.
- I agree and understand that the Darien YMCA will make monthly automatic deductions from a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or Amex) or bank account that I have designated.
- It is my complete understanding that if I wish to terminate, go on hold, or change my membership in any way that affects monthly dues, I must give the Darien YMCA 15-days written notice before my scheduled draft date. I am responsible for any processed/upcoming dues if I fail to notify the membership department in writing within the stated timeframe.
- Should any membership draft not be honored by my bank or credit card for any reason, I am still responsible for that payment plus a service charge applied by the YMCA. This is in addition to any service fee my bank or credit card may incur. Membership accounts will automatically be terminated after 2 months of unpaid membership dues. The joiner fee will be required to reinstate the membership, in addition to any outstanding account balances.
- If my membership is terminated and inactive, or there is an interruption of monthly payments for 30 days or more, the joiner’s fee is again required to reinstate the membership.
- The Darien YMCA Board of Directors may, at their discretion, adjust the monthly rate application to my category of membership, I understand that I will receive at least a 30 days’ notice prior to any such change.
It is the members' responsibility to carry their membership card while in the facility: to gain admittance to the facility, when registering for programs, and upon entering the pools.
I hereby grant permission for staff to take whatever steps necessary for the person(s) listed on my account to receive and/or obtain medical treatment if warranted. These steps include, but are not limited to the following:
- To administer First Aid;
- To contact parent/guardian or person listed on emergency contact;
- Call 911 or Post 53 of Darien for treatment and/or transportation to an emergency medical center.
If you/your child is a Darien Y Member at the time of program registration, the membership must remain active throughout the program they attend. If you/your child registers for program(s) as a non-member, they are eligible to receive the member rate for the program if the membership is processed within 14 days of the original registration date.
The Darien YMCA does not provide accident insurance for injuries sustained during YMCA activities. Program members participate in programs and use the facility at their own risk. Members are encouraged to have personal medical insurance coverage.
We offer Nationwide Membership because we want to help you to reach your health and wellness goals wherever you live, work or travel. This is an essential part of our cause of strengthening communities. There may be some restrictions of use for activities that require a reservation. Please call the front desk to confirm available activities like the Family Swim and Aqua Fitness before arriving to the Darien YMCA. Nationwide Membership - Things to Know Before You Go: As a Nationwide Member, you now have the added value of visiting Ys across the United States and Puerto Rico. There are a few guidelines to know and follow when you travel:
- Before you travel, contact the Y you intend to visit to make sure it is one of the more than 2,600 locations that participate in Nationwide Membership.
- You must have an active membership to be eligible for Nationwide Membership.
- On average, at least 50% of your monthly visits must be to your Home YMCA (the local association that enrolled you and collects your membership dues).
- If you have known periods of seasonal travel (when you will not be using your Home Y at least 50% of the time or will be a resident of another area for more than 28 days), you will need to place your Home Y membership on hold (or cancel it) and join the Y where you will be living for that time period. Please plan ahead, as it may take several weeks to place your account on hold.
- If you are a college student, you will need to join the YMCA where your usage is 50% or greater. Nationwide Membership is based on individual usage, not the family unit. Most Ys have a young adult or college membership option, or you can ask about the financial assistance program.
- Most YMCAs require a photo ID for all visitors. Please bring a photo ID with you for a seamless customer experience.
- You will be asked to sign a wavier when visiting other YMCA locations.
The Darien YMCA reserves the right to take pictures/videos of its participants connected with the Darien YMCA programs, to be used for programs publicity. This might include newspaper articles, website pages, brochures, signage, social media, and other marketing needed.
The Darien YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the Darien YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.
The Y will make every effort to open its doors during inclement weather. Please note that a final decision to open or close will be made based on conditions of your safety, staff safety, and emergency first responder's recommendations. Holly Pond Nursery School will continue to mirror the Darien Public Schools in the event of their closings or a 90-minute delay. If the Darien Public Schools have a delayed opening and the YMCA opens at its regular morning hour, the following policy applies: Holly Pond Nursery School will open at 10:00 a.m. All Youth Aquatics and Gymnastics classes will begin at 10:00 a.m. All Group Fitness Classes and Adult Fitness Classes will run at regularly scheduled times If the Darien Public Schools cancel school or have an early dismissal, a decision will be made by the Executive Director about whether the YMCA will remain open and whether classes will run. All announcements regarding closings will be made available online through our website (under Y News) on Facebook, Twitter, our iPhone mobile app, and our Droid mobile app. If you have any questions you should contact the Y's main phone number and a recorded message will be current.
- Children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times (with the exception of open gym). Please see the following rules for each department
- All 13 and 14 year olds must complete a Free Youth Fit Club class and be an active member of the YMCA.
- All 15 -17 year olds are encouraged to complete a Training Center Orientation. Any 14 year old, who is also in High School, may request an evaluation from the Fitness Center Director to gain access.
- Member and non-member rates available.
- Classes offered specifically for youth/teen will indicate specific age parameters.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Must have a parent/guardian (minimum of 17 years) with them in the water and in the locker rooms at all times.
- Must have a parent/guardian supervising them on the pool deck at all times. If a 9-12 year old is a non-swimmer a parent/guardian is required to swim with their child
- Are allowed to use the pools without direct supervision. Parents are strongly encouraged to be in the building while their child is swimming
Darien YMCA uses its best efforts to respect the privacy of its online visitors. Darien YMCA lists are never sold to third parties. We will only share personally identifiable information with third parties when (i) the person submitting the information authorizes us to share it; (ii) sharing the information is a necessary operation of the site, for instance, to process a credit card transaction, or (iii) we are required to by law. Darien YMCA has no control over or responsibility for the data collection and use practices of third parties that process online donation credit card transactions. Is Credit Card Information Secure? We care about the safety and security of your transaction. We use high-grade encryption and the https security protocol to communicate with your browser software. This method is the industry standard security protocol, which makes it extremely difficult for anyone else to intercept the credit card information you send to us. Companies we work with to process credit card transactions also use high-grade encryption and security protocols. We go beyond PCI compliance and obtain Token Certification to hyper-safeguard all of your sensitive credit card information. PayPal has been assessed for compliance with the PCI DSS v2.0 requirements by K3DES LLC, an approved Qualified Security Assessor (QSA) by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC). The results of this assessment found PayPal functioning in a PCI DSS V2.0 compliant manner as a Level 1 Service Provider. Choice/Opt-Out If you “opt-in” to receive information from us, you can change your mind later. If at any time you would like to stop receiving e-blasts or mailings, please choose “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email message or email us at email@example.com. You’ve entrusted us with your personal information, and we’re committed to using it wisely. Darien YMCA will not sell your personal information to anyone, for any reason, at any time.